TEAM CADDIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TEAM CADDIS

Member discussion

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 92 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 am

Latest topics

» Pro Team member??
Specifications EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm by peterdk

» Job Opportunity With TU
Specifications EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:32 pm by JAnderson

» Where is everyone? I am stuck in Iraq where are you?
Specifications EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 pm by JAnderson

» It's me!! I am not dead just stuck in Iraq!!
Specifications EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 pm by JAnderson

» Fishing events around the area Bamberg
Specifications EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 3:53 pm by Moto

» Hello from Montana
Specifications EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 5:15 pm by FEHEADER

» News and Events
Specifications EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 3:06 pm by Fish Pimp

» VA boy new to the site!
Specifications EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:06 pm by peterdk

» Fly Fishing Guide Summer 2010
Specifications EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:34 pm by TroutBone

Navigation

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 211 messages in 77 subjects

We have 35 registered users

The newest registered user is anansax

TC Team Blogs

TEAM GERMANY

TEAM USA

TEAM DENMARK

Blog is not complete

Recognized Partners

SONIK FLY RODS

PROMO CODE

0BSY37AL

SK3

SK4

SONIK REELS

USE OUR PROMO CODE TO

HELP SEND OUR PRO TEAM

TO THE NEXT TOURNAMENT

0BSY37AL

3 posters

Specifications

Knightcast
    Pro Team
    Pro Team

Specifications Empty Specifications

Post  Knightcast Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:11 am

Joe glad to have you on board, we are looking forward to seeing the first Fly Rod for Team Caddis. heard alot of good things about you from Ammala, but I do guess fello Idahoans do have to stick together.. Laughing , no seriously its great to have you on board.
    Joe Douglas
    Joe Douglas
    Pro Team
    Pro Team

Specifications Empty Thanks...happy to be here.

Post  Joe Douglas Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:10 am

I'm working on the Team Caddis rod now. I'm in the middle of wrapping guides and everything is coming along nicely. It should look good and perform quite well once I get it done.

For anyone with questions about, or an interest in, custom rod building, I'll do my best to provide answers and advice. I've been doing this long enough that if I don't know the answer at least I know where to find it. I build pretty much any type of rod but I really build a lot of fly rods. I work with graphite, glass and bamboo. I also do restoration and repair work so don't hesitate to ask about your latest project rod. I'm looking forward to the discussions.

Thanks, Joe
    Texan45
    Texan45

Specifications Empty Re: Specifications

Post  Texan45 Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:31 pm

Joe
    I'm curious, a friend of mine has several old bamboo rods that he bought at a flea market for a reasonble price two of them are warp at the tip one angles to the left and the other one arches up from almost the 3/4 of the rod, is there any way he can perform the work himself or would he have to take the rod into someone like yourself, I thought maybe steaming the bent part might help as long as you can manage in getting it straight with a supporter as it is getting steam.?
    Joe Douglas
    Joe Douglas
    Pro Team
    Pro Team

Specifications Empty Set in a bamboo tip

Post  Joe Douglas Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:54 am

I use dry heat from a heat gun or a hair dryer on the lowest setting to warm the bamboo and work the curve in the opposite direction until it is straight again. It is pretty easy to damage the rod but as long as you are careful it can be done by anyone (don't tell anyone, I need the work). The glues they had available in the vintage bamboo era were not the exceptional chemical concoctions we have today. Most were animal based which is why you see older rods with 100 intermediate wraps along the shaft...to reinforce the glue. I've never used steam and I would probably stay away from it only because I don't know for certain what will happen if you use it.

The cause of the set is stretched longitudinal fibers in the bamboo along the outside edge of the curve. Essentially, the fix is to stretch the fibers along the inside of the curve to match thereby re-establishing a straight section of bamboo. The odds are pretty good that the set will return some day. But, if your friend takes proper care of the rod, it will be much later than sooner and not nearly so bad.

Using dry heat on the lowest setting, do the following:

1. Either find something to rest one end of the rod section on that will hold it well enough to allow you to gently bend it back against the curve; or, prop up the heat source so you can hold the rod in your hands and pass it across the heat while applying pressure in the opposite direction on the curve with your thumbs. For example, I have a 5 foot length of fancy crown moulding with lots of grooves in it that will fit a variety of rod sizes really well. I also have a heat gun with a flat end that allows me to set it upright on the bench and work the bamboo back and forth across the heat. You can also clamp the heat source in a vise.

2. don't get the heat close enough to burn or scorch the bamboo. Warm the outside edge of the curve at the point where the bend is the most severe. Run the heat source back and forth along an 8-10 inch portion of the curve for 15-20 seconds; or, pass the bamboo back and forth through the heat for 15-20 seconds. As you are applying heat you should also be applying pressure to bend the rod section back against the curve and toward the straight. After you remove the heat, check your progress by sighting along the shaft.

I have seen flat boards with wooden pegs at odd angles and locations along the board to provide places to gently bend the rod using combinations of the pegs as levers. Also, long strips of wood with notches cut in them to use as levers for straightening. Both look like they would work well, but I just use my thumbs.

3. repeat step #2 as many times as it takes to return the rod to straight or nearly straight. Go slow, check often, do not overheat the rod. This is a lengthy process, don't hurry it.

4. check closely because you may find that as the curve begins to straighten out the direction of curvature changes a bit. You always want to be working directly opposite the bend. As it becomes straighter, the amount of bend will be less. Once in a while it is necessray to bend in the opposite direction beyond the straight to get a curve to end up straight. Be careful when bending not to apply too much pressure and break the bamboo. Slow and easy will do the trick.

In the case of your friend's rod where the curve goes toward the left, it will be necessray to check often and change direction to accommodate what is probably a compound curve. Same technique, just check often and adjust as needed. Hint: if this is realy bad curve to the left...more of a twist...you may want to clamp the tiptop in a vise and bend in the opposite direction as you very gently try to rotate the rod. Sometimes, this can remove the compound curve in one step by applying pressure from two directions at once.

The key to success is to take the curve out in exactly the opposite direction that it went into the bamboo. Once you have it straight again, let it sit overnight and check it the next day. Repeat the process if any of the curve has returned.

Either you'll get it or you won't. You might get it straight enough to make the rods useful again which is probably fine. If you just can't get it to work for you, I'd suggest taking it to a rod builder who probably has plenty of practice at this sort of thing.

Sponsored content

Specifications Empty Re: Specifications

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 5:14 am